New Topic | ReplyLogin

jacobmathew Posted: 26 Apr 2009 01:30 pm
Hi, I am in U.S. working on a full time H1B visa, due to the current economic conditions my employer has already laid off some of the employees. I do not want to find myself in such a difficult situation, so I am thinking about either changing my full time H1B to part time and go to school full time or to take up a full time graduate school degree , which means changing from H1B to F1.I am concerned about the following issues:- 1. Can I have a part time H1b and attend a full time school ? 2. If I get a part time H1B, do I need a student visa to go back to school? 3. After I change my H1B status to F1 and in the middle of my Degree course if I get an offer for full time H1b position, can I again change the status to H1? In this case do I have to leave the country to apply for H1 or not ? 4. Am I eligible to get any scholarship or grant from school if I am on a part time H1B status? Kindly give me advice. Thank you.

bk Posted: 12 May 2009 11:02 pm
In order to convert from full time employment to part time employment, you need to file an amended H1b petition. Even if you are on part time job you are on H1 status and when you are on H1 status you can attend the school only on part-time. Since you are on H1 status you will not be able to work on-campus part-time, because these privileges require F1 status. If you have already changed your status to F1 , I think you can change your status back to H1 with out leaving the country. I am not a legal person. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation.

'Your American Dream Starts Here', h1b planet, h1bplanet, and h1bplanet.com are service marks of The Law Offices of Morley J. Nair. Copyright 2008-2013.

DISCLAIMER: The information on this website is of a general nature only and should not be taken as legal advice. Always seek professional legal advice before proceeding with your case.

(C) The Law Offices of Morley J. Nair, 2008-2013, All rights reserved. Sitemap